Volunteer Hours Requirement For Carey School Parents
The Carey School is proud of its tradition of volunteerism and the outstanding community built around families working together for a common goal. To this end, each family is expected to contribute
15 hours of time during the school year in support of school-wide and classroom activities facilitated by the Carey School Parents Association (CSPA). This 15-hour requirement is broken down into two categories:
REVENUE-GENERATING HOURS: 10 HOURS
At least 10 of a family’s 15 volunteer hours must be in support of CSPA fundraisers or CSPA-approved revenue-generating school activities:
- Two primary CSPA fundraisers: Walkfest and the annual Auction.
- Other CSPA-approved, revenue-generating activities such as eScrip solicitation, Annual Giving, Capital Campaign, Development office events, and admissions ambassadorships.
- Class-specific activities that generate funds for the entire school such as working on the class auction project or serving as a class representative for parent auction donations, Annual Giving or Capital Campaign.
SERVICE HOURS: 5 HOURS
The remaining 5 volunteer hours may be fulfilled by time spent on any of the following activities:
- Other school-wide and CSPA-supported activities, including Pumpkin Patch, Spaghetti Dinner, Common Ground Speaker Series, Specialist Enrichment Days (e.g., Earth Day, Sports Day, Literature Days, Foreign Language Days, Art Days), and grade hosted school-wide events.
- CSPA fundraisers (i.e., additional hours beyond the 10 hour requirement spent on any of the activities identified under “Revenue-Generating Hours,” above).
- Service as a room parent, CSPA officer, member of the Board of Trustees, or CSPA committee chair for non-revenue generating activities.
- Classroom activities organized and supported by the class room parents.
NOTE: The Carey School and CSPA encourage and appreciate your support of classroom activities. All hours spent in support of classroom activities facilitated by the room parents (e.g., class parties, field trip driving, etc.), will count toward your 5 service hour volunteer requirement.
REPORTING VOLUNTEER HOURS: Volunteer hours should be reported promptly after completion to the volunteer coordinator. To report your volunteer hours, please email the name of each event, the date of service and time spent to . Alternatively, you may download a Volunteer Reporting Form from the CSPA section of the school website and return the form to the Volunteer Hours folder in the mail slots in the main office.
IF YOU DO NOT FULFILL YOUR HOURS: At the end of the school year, each family that has not met its volunteer obligation will be invoiced for $35.00 per each unfulfilled hour. In cases of extreme hardship, the CSPA may grant an exemption from all or part of the volunteer requirement. A request for such an exemption must be made in writing, as soon as practical after the need is realized, and submitted to (or via the Volunteer Hours folder in the main office) for consideration by the CSPA Executive Team.
BUYOUT OPTION: The school and the CSPA strongly encourage each family to fulfill its obligation by completing the required 15 hours of service. However, families that prefer to make a monetary contribution in lieu of donating their time may buy out of the volunteer hour requirement by making a tax-deductible $500 donation. The election to buy out must be made in writing and submitted to (or via the Volunteer Hours folder in the main office), along with the $500 payment (payable to “CSPA”), no later than September 30, 2013.