The Eagle’s Eye – May 4th, 2012
Tue May 8, 2012
- Japanese Jamboree Assembly – Grades PK-2 – 9:20am – 10:00am and Grades 3-5 – 10:20am – 11:00am
Wed May 9, 2012
- GOLD Technology Meeting – 8:30am – 10:00am
Thur May 10, 2012
Fri May 11, 2012
- Virginia Taylor Spaghetti Dinner – 5:00pm – 8:00pm - VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!!!! Join The Carey School Community for the Annual Virginia Taylor Spaghetti Dinner on Friday, May 11 from 5-8 pm at the Carey School. Don’t miss this great evening mingling with fellow parents over a fun italian-themed dinner and live music! Please RSVP to the Evite, and we need volunteers. Sign up for a shift bartending, serving pasta or get double hours for clean up. Bring a bottle of wine, beer and/or dessert to share! Volunteer Portal: click here
NEW Wed May 16, 2012
- CSPA Meeting – 8:45am – 9:45am - Final CSPA Meeting of the Year! Thank you for all your volunteer hours and hard work! As a special thanks to the parent community, we will have a coffee cart and light breakfast available at this final CSPA meeting for the 2011-12 school year.
- 5B & 5C Field Trip to the Cantor Art Center – 10:15am – 3:00pm - Children to bring a packed lunch. Contact Raymond Difley if you have any questions.
- Full Faculty Meeting – 3:30pm – 4:30pm
- Viva la Carey - 6:30pm – 8:00pm - Mentoring Event for new students and families.
NEW Thu May 17, 2012
- Sun Protection Assembly - 8:30am - 9:30am - All Grades - Dermatologist parent, Lee Zane, will speak to the students regarding sun safety awareness in the amphitheater.
NEW Fri May 18, 2012
- Coyote Point - All day - PreK and K – Pre-K and K will travel to Coyote Point for their annual end-of-the-year field trip. Students will leave campus at the beginning of the day and return by 3:00 p.m.
- Saratoga Springs - All day - Grades 1-5 will travel to Saratoga Springs for the annual end-of-the-year field trip. Students will leave campus at the beginning of the day and return by 3:00 p.m. The day at Saratoga Springs is very special. There is swimming under supervision of lifeguards. No one is allowed to swim in the deeper water unless the lifeguard approves the child. The younger children use the wading pool. There is hiking, volleyball, softball, and horseshoes. A barbeque luncheon is served to all students.
Students may wear shorts, jeans or comfortable play clothes. They should take swimsuits and towels in a container in which their clothes may be placed. Of course, please remember to send your favorite sun-block products with your child. Students may take money to buy things at the snack bar. Parents are asked to limit the amount to $5.00 as the focus is on the great outdoors.
Save the Date
NEW Wed May 23, 2012
- Daycare Team Appreciation Potluck – 5:30pm-6:30pm, Lower Playground Room – Doris Zane, and Dora Nathanson, - Please join us for our third Daycare Team Appreciation Potluck. Parents and children are invited. Please note that Daycare is technically over at 6:00PM and children will need to be signed out by then. You can sign up for potluck items on Google Docs by clicking here.
Thu May 24, 2012
- Celebration of Learning - 5:00pm-7:00pm – The Carey community will come together to celebrate our most valued tradition of learning. With knowledgeable Carey students as their guides parents will receive a priceless insider tour of the classrooms where learning flourishes.
Fri, May 25th
- Pauline Murray Day – Friday, May 25, from 8:45 am to 11:45 am – For 1st-5th grade. Early dismissal with daycare available. Please click here for more information.
Sun, May 27th
- Carey Goes On Safari! Mark Your Calendars And Reserve A Spot Today! – Celebrate the Memorial Day weekend with Carey families and join us for a WILD time at Safari West! On Sunday, May 27th come to Safari West in Santa Rosa to tour a unique wildlife preserve and see the largest US collection of baby giraffes!
Safari West is a wildlife preserve nestled on 400 acres in the heart of California’s wine country where the whole family can experience nature’s most beautiful animals in a natural habitat. Safari West is home for over 400 exotic mammals and birds and one of only six private facilities in North America to gain membership to the American Zoo and Aquarium Association. The ongoing mission of Safari West is wildlife preservation through breeding, education, research and public interaction. So come socialize with friends, feast on a Safari BBQ dinner, roast marshmallows around the campfire and sleep under the stars in a luxurious “tent”! Detailed information is available on their website: www.safariwest.com. Click here for the flyer. All tents are booked but if you have questions please call Nan Fontaine at Safari West 800-616-2695 or 707-566-3613. Be sure to tell them you are with The Carey School. Questions? Email Lydia Alexander at
Mon, May 28th
- Memorial Day – No school/No daycare.
UPDATE Sun, June 3rd
- Cafe du Carey – All Alumni and Alumni Family Reunion with Pre-Party Le Tour de Carey Bike Ride. 5th graders and their families will be inaugurated as alumni and alumni families as they join other alumni and members of the faculty for what promises to be a fun event. Cafe du Carey will be held on campus from 11:00 am -1:00 pm with Le Tour de Carey bike ride beginning at 8:30 am on Edgewood and Canada Road. If questions, contact the advancement office at . Bon Appetit!
NEW Operetta Order Form
If you would like a video of Operetta please click here for the order form.
NEW Auction Pay-to-Play Events Still Available!
If you didn’t sign up for some of the great Pay-to-Play events at the auction, you still have a chance. There will be a sign-up table at next week’s Spaghetti Dinner, so bring your cash or checkbook and sign up for fun events like Carey Movie Night, the Harvest Dance, and Men’s Poker Night (Tacos & Tequila).
Room Parents for Next Year
Would you like to spend some quality time in your child’s classroom and see their smiles and looks of adoration? Here’s your chance! We are looking for 2012-2013 Room Parents! If interested, contact Laura Agarwal at or Susan Faris at . Please click here for room parent responsibilities.
We are approaching the end of the school year, so please make sure you have reported and get credit for all your volunteer hours. You can verify your hours in the Volunteer Portal by clicking here. Information about the Volunteer Hours Policy can also be found on the CSPA section of Carey’s website. If you have additional questions, please contact Fiona Taylor at .
2012-13 CSPA Committee Chairs
What makes The Carey School such a great community? Our parent volunteers! The CSPA Executive Team is looking for Committee Chairs to help make a big difference at the school next year. The 2012-13 CSPA Committees are:
Caring at Carey
Dads’ Committee (new!)
Enrichment Days (Literature Week, World Language Luncheon)
Faculty & Staff Appreciation
More information on the CSPA Committees can be found on the website by clicking here. If you are interested in any of the above, please email Cathleen Thomas at with your top 2-3 choices.
The Eagle’s Eye provides information about upcoming school-wide activities of interest to parents. It is prepared by the advancement office and sent each Friday during the school year to parents, faculty, and staff. Deadline for submission is Thursday at 12:00pm. Questions? Contact .
|The Carey School
One Carey School Lane, San Mateo. CA 94403 (650) 345-8205 FAX: (650) 345-2528 www.careyschool.org