Carey at a Glance
An independent day school, founded in 1928, The Carey School blends the best of traditional methods with the most innovative ideas to achieve a just-right, developmentally appropriate balance for all ages and stages.
- Enrollment: 288
- Preschool campus: 3s class & Pre-Kindergarten
- Main campus: Kindergarten through Grade 5
- Average class size: 19 (K-Grade 5)
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 6:1
- Content specialists students see each week: 9
- New students welcomed each year: 70
- 15+ cities and towns are home to Carey families
- Tuition (2022-2023): kindergarten through fifth grade: $35,895 | Preschool: $30,062
- Financial aid: We award more than $900,000 in financial assistance
- 12% of our students receive financial aid
Start & End Times
- Playground opens for all Preschool and K - 5 students: 8:00 a.m.
- School days:
- Preschool: 8:30 a.m. - 2:45 p.m.
- Kindergarten: 8:15 a.m. - 2:45 p.m.
- Grades 1-5: 8:15 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. for 1st & 2nd grades, 8:15 a.m. - 3:15 p.m. for 3rd, 4th & 5th grades
- Extended care:
- Morning care: 7:30 a.m. - 8:00 a.m.
- Afternoon care: 2:45 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Accreditation & Memberships
- California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
- National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
- Educational Records Bureau (ERB)
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
- The Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD)
- The National Association of Elementary School Principals (NAESP)
- The Enrollment Management Association (EMA)
- Bay Area Directors of Admission (BADA)
- Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE)