Skip to main content
Carey at a Glance
- An independent day school
- Grades: pre-kindergarten to fifth
- Founded: 1928
- Unique offerings: content specialists, Thinkering Lab, garden, laboratory science, math enrichment, service learning program, on-site chef
- Content specialists (all grades): homeroom/core, science, thinkering, Spanish, French, library, physical education, art, music
- Enrichment/support specialists: math and literacy
- Active parents association and alumni group
- Enrollment: 249
- Average class size: 19
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 10:1
- Content specialists students see each week: 9
- Tuition (2016-17): kindergarten through fifth grade: $26,530 | pre-kindergarten: $19,720
- Financial aid: 15% of families, ~$500,000 annual support
Start & end times
- Extended care/enrichment available: 7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Playground opens for all students: 8:00 a.m.
- School days
- Pre-kindergarten: 8:45 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Kindergarten: 8:45 a.m. - 2:45 p.m.
- Grades 1-5: 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Accreditation & memberships
- California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
- National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
- Educational Records Bureau (ERB)
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
- The Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD)
- The National Association of Elementary School Principals (NAESP)
- Association of Independent School Admission Professionals (AISAP)