We’re delighted that you're interested in The Carey School, and we look forward to getting to know you. Each step in our admission process is designed to help us learn more about each other as we build our welcoming, vibrant community and you choose the perfect school for your family.
This page outlines the steps in our application process, and the following page provides a handy overview of key admission events, deadlines, and decisions. You can download a copy of our 2019-2020 Application Process & Key Dates documents.
If you have questions at any point in the process, we're happy to help. Please contact Ida Gruber, Director of Admission and Financial Aid.
We encourage you to learn about Carey’s unique culture and curriculum by exploring our website and downloading our viewbook.
To apply for pre-kindergarten and kindergarten at The Carey School, children must be four years old and five years old, respectively, on or before September 1 of the year they will begin school. Applicants for all other grades are age-assessed on an individual basis.
We require families to register for an adult-only school tour to see our campus, visit our classrooms, and learn how we put our educational philosophy into practice.
We use Ravenna, a web-based application system used by many Bay Area independent schools. Once your account has been created, you can find our profile page by searching "The Carey School in the school directory on the left-hand side of the screen. You will be able to register for one our many tours offered during the fall and winter months.
Carey hosts informal admission events that help prospective parents and guardians learn more about our curriculum, meet our teachers, and interact with current families. We hope you can attend!
Please join us for these informative admission events. You can register through your Ravenna account.
- Prospective Parent Curriculum Night: An exploration of our curriculum presented by core and specialist faculty. Visitors will have an opportunity to visit the classrooms of grades 1-5. Please note that this is an adult-only event.
- Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten Open House: Families are invited to check out our classrooms, try student activities and meet current parents, teachers, and students.
- OneCarey Admission Event: Join us for an evening to learn more about Carey's diversity and inclusion efforts. This event will take place in January and is an adult-only event.
- Prospective Parent Reception: Once you have submitted your application, you can register for this fun facilitated mixer connecting prospective and current parents.
Please submit your application through your Ravenna account. Each step in your application checklist will be marked as complete by our office as your documents are received and processed.
Once you've submitted your application, please schedule a playgroup experience or screening session appropriate for your child's age, as well as a parent/guardian interview. These take place in January and February.
- During the pre-kindergarten and kindergarten playgroup experience, children participate in large-group play and small-group skills stations with our teachers.
- Screening for first through fifth grade applicants includes skill-based assessment and teacher-assigned materials.
- The parent/guardian interview allows our admission team to learn more about your child, to discuss your family’s educational goals, and to answer your questions.
Using your Ravenna account, delegate a student evaluation form to your child's current teacher through your Ravenna account.
Applicants to grades first through fifth: Transcripts for first through fifth graders should be requested from your school's registrar. Official transcripts must come directly from your current school via online submission, email or mail in sealed envelopes. You may print a copy of the request form through your Ravenna account.
We invite applicants for grades 1-5 who have completed their application and screening to visit for The Carey School to experience a full day in early February. During the visit, applicants sit in on classes, meet our teachers and students, and get a feel for life at Carey. Please register for this event through your Ravenna account.
The Carey School is committed to developing and sustaining a socioeconomically diverse student body, and we don't want a family's finances to be a barrier to attending our school. We award more than $600,000 in financial assistance to approximately 15% of our families. If financial aid would help bring a Carey education within reach for your family, we encourage you to explore our Financial Aid Program. You can rest assured that admission decisions are always independent of financial need. Please see our Tuition & Financial Aid page for more information.