We Know Children and
- Ensure our program centers on student age, ability and interest levels.
- Deliver a challenging curriculum for our learners and communicate about it beyond the classroom to enhance school/home partnerships.
- Utilize contemporary research-based curricula and standards in areas of math, language, reading, writing, social studies, science, technology, the arts, and athletics.
Appropriate grade-level content and skills
- Ensure consistency of experience and challenge within grade levels and across core and co-curricular subjects.
- Emphasize play-based learning at younger ages progressing towards collaborative critical-thinking and leadership at older ages.
- Place greater explicit emphasis on ethics, civics and moral development in the curriculum.
- Continue integration of Social Emotional Learning (SEL) concepts throughout our program and strengthen it with greater opportunities to foster optimism, effort and empathy.
We Celebrate Children through
- Promote an environment for students to learn-by-doing through project-based learning, structured and unstructured play, assemblies, and field trips.
- Provide integrated studies opportunities to help students make connections between subject areas and develop a broader view of challenges and solutions.
- Prioritize fun and the joy of our school.
- Provide opportunities for all children to be their authentic selves.
We Prepare Children for
The next grade level
- Ensure that each student steps up to the next grade level aware of accomplishments, personal abilities and areas for growth.
- Offer support of learning resources to address specific student needs.
- Institute authentic, formative, and student-driven assessments to complement teacher-driven assessment.
The next school
- Graduate independent learners who can manage the social, procedural, and academic aspects of middle school.
- Expand our connections with local middle schools through board, administrative and faculty relationships.
Life beyond Carey
- Enhance real world relevance and the role of citizenship in our curriculum, with emphasis on multicultural, service-learning, and ecological awareness.
- Implement age appropriate school-wide projects to address local/national/global problems and connect student learning to the larger world.